Who doesn’t like things that we get when we pay less and get much more. Air Canada upgrade works in a similar way for passengers who choose to fly with Air Canada. With these upgrades passengers can land a air Canada upgrade to business class or signature class. Air Canada offers Bid Upgrade, eUpgrades and Last Minute Upgrade Purchase as upgrade options to passengers traveling with them. Passengers are notified via email if they are eligible for upgrades and also opt for last minute upgrades that can be bought with cash.
In this post
Why is the Air Canada Upgrade Policy needed?
If passengers are looking for upgrades be it last minute or via bid, it is fun to get all the amenities and services that a higher class passenger gets on the Air Canada flight. The upgrade bids policy is in state for passengers to understand how they can avail for air canada upgrade to premium economy and make request for seat upgrades. With Air Canada passengers get different option to upgrade or win an upgrade. This article focuses on the different ways Air canada offers upgrades to its flyers be it with last minute cash or eCredits or bid offers. So you make your air canada upgrade request with a better understanding.
Air Canada Bid Upgrade
This feature gives passengers a chance to go for air canada bid upgrade to a higher class from economy tickets and premium economy tickets. Passengers get to enjoy services like extra baggage, Priority check-in,boarding, inflight meals and much more. This is your chance to travel in a higher cabin class if you are flying on an flight that is eligible for upgrade. Flights operated by Air canada Rouge, Air canada or flights traveling under banner of express Air Canada.
Are you an Aeroplan member? Do you have Aeroplan points? Then you can use them to avail upgrade under Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program. If you still aren’t a member yet. Then don’t miss out and become a member for free. Passengers can also go for Instant Upgrade options which becomes available do it 10 to 2 days prior to departure.
How to get Air Canada Bid Upgrade?
Passengers can get this air canada bid upgrade at any time till 48 hours prior to their flight departure by making an air canada upgrade bidding and sending your details and entering your credit card details. You can either go for cancellation or change your offer as well If you wish as long as the offer window is not closed. Air Canada will notify passengers via mail if the offer is accepted and they are upgraded and their credit is charged for the same. These Air canada bid upgrade are non-refundable and non-transferable. This upgrade is available for Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express.
Last Minute Upgrade Cost
When nothing else works cash works. So this upgrade is done by cash, Passengers can upgrade their seats to business class or premium economy with this upgrade. If you are making upgrades with this and you are a party of more than one then you have to upgrade for everyone. Once its done all the services are provided to passengers as per the upgraded class gets. This upgrade is offered to passengers as soon as 24 hours prior to flight departure during online check-in or 12 hours prior to flight departure during self service check-in kiosk. If passengers are flying within canada then this service is available 45 minutes prior to departure.
If passengers are flying between USA and Canada and to all international routes from or to canada then it is available 1 hour prior flight departure.
Once upgraded you are eligible for services and perks like access to Maple leaf lounge at the airport from where your flight departs, special meals and alcohol, special boarding and clearance. This upgrade is not available if your bookings are in basic fare or for Air Canada codeshare flights.
How Much Do Air Canada Last Minute Upgrades Cost?
If you wish to know about the upgrade price charged under last minute Upgrade then here are some upgrade prices for air canada business class upgrade price mentioned below.Below listed prices in the table are for one way flights for the air canada last minute upgrade cost.
|Upgrade Type||Routes||Upgrade Cost|
|Air canada upgrade economy to business||Honolulu (HNL) to Toronto (YYZ)|
Toronto (YYZ) to Las Vegas (LAS)
Montréal (YUL) to Newark (EWR)
Montréal (YUL) to Paris (CDG)
Montréal (YUL) to Vancouver (YVR)
Toronto (YYZ) to Madrid (MAD)
Toronto (YYZ) to Punta Cana (PUJ)
Toronto (YYZ) to Tokyo (HND)
Vancouver (YVR) to Maui (OGG)
Vancouver (YVR) to Toronto (YYZ)
|Air Canada upgrade economy to business||Montréal (YUL) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL)|
Vancouver (YVR) to Montréal (YUL)
|Air canada upgrade premium economy to business||Toronto (YYZ) to Tel Aviv (TLV)|
Toronto (YYZ) to Bogotá (BOG)
Air Canada eUpgrades
Getting upgrades depends highly on your Aeroplan status. Aeroplan is the frequent flier status. Higher the Aeroplan status higher will be your chance to get clearance for getting an upgrade. There are certain requirements passengers need to keep in mind. As eUpgrades have an expiry date which depends on mainly when credits were earned by the passengers. If the date when credits were earned rangers from 1 January to 30 June then credits are valid till January 16 of following year. Additionally credit earned within 1 July till 31 December are valid till 16 January of subsequent year. Credits needs to be valid for the flight date you are applying an upgrade for. Factors that play an important role in determining how many credits are required for upgrades are as such the type of ticket purchased, the seat you wish to upgrade to and distance of your flight.
Yes, you can share your credits by requesting an upgrade for your travel companions, If you are an Aeroplan Elite status member. Few things to keep in mind while requesting an air canada seat upgrade with Air Canada is as follows:
- If you and your companion are traveling in the same class then you can request an upgrade for yourself and up to two people.
- If your companions are traveling in a different class then a request for upgrade needs to be made at the airport on the day flight departures to an Air Canada staff member.
Super elite members get to nominate a nominee and make requests for them for upgrades even if they are not traveling together. Here is what you need to know regarding adding a nominee and requesting for eUpgrades:
- Every year Super Elite Members get to appoint one eUpgrade nominee.
- You can add a nominee from 17 January and the nominee remains an active nominee till 16 January of next year.
- This can be done by logging into an eUpgrade account and requesting an upgrade.
- You can only be a nominee as selected by one Super Elite Member.
When it comes to earning credits Super Elite Members can earn credits in different ways such as select benefits,core benefits and threshold upgrades.Here is what they mean:
- Core Benefits: As per this members receive twenty credits At the beginning of new year, and also when members qualify for a higher status.
- Select Benefits: As per this members choose additional credits When they qualify for status at the start of each year, or to receive credits for eligible Flight Pass activities.
- Threshold Upgrades: As per this members earn additional credits automatically for every Mile that they cross during the calendar year.
How to use eUpgrade credits?
If you are wondering how you can use your credits to request an air canada seat upgrade? Then read ahead.Below mentioned steps need to be followed for logging in and requesting credits online.
- Open official Air Canada website (www.aircanada.com) and sign in to your eUpgrade account
- Now enter booking reference and last name and retrieve your details.
- Now go through the options available and credit required.
- If any applicable add-on fee is required then make payment now.
- Once done you will receive a mail stating request received.
- As soon as your clearance window opens your upgrade is confirmed and credits are deducted.
Furthermore credits can also be requested when you check-in by any of the following means be it online, on mobile and at kiosk and at the airport counter on the travel day.
Here is what you need to know about the Air Canada Aeroplan eUpgrade Clearance window.Below listed points will help you get a better understanding of this.
- If you have Super Elite status then for international flights it takes 7 days and 14 days for lowest Premium Economy that is Comfort, Flex, and Standard tickets for destination North America and Sun Destinations (Mexico and the Caribbean). For Economy Premium Flexible and Latitude tickets for all destinations clearance can be done at anytime.
- If you have 75K status then for international flights it takes 6 days and 12 days for Lowest Premium Economy, Comfort, Flex, and Standard tickets for destination North America and Sun Destinations (Mexico and the Caribbean). For Economy Premium Flexible and Latitude tickets for all destinations clearance can be done at anytime.
- If you have 50K status then for international flights it takes 5 days and 10 days for Lowest Premium Economy, Comfort, Flex, and Standard tickets for destination North America and Sun Destinations (Mexico and the Caribbean). For Economy Premium Flexible and Latitude tickets for all destinations clearance can be done at anytime.
- If you have 35K status then for international flights it takes 4 days and 8 days for Lowest Premium Economy, Comfort, Flex, and Standard tickets for destination North America and Sun Destinations (Mexico and the Caribbean). For Economy Premium (Flexible) and Latitude tickets for all destinations clearance can be done at anytime.
- If you have 25K status then for international flights it takes 3 days and 4 days for Lowest Premium Economy, Comfort, Flex, and Standard tickets for destination North America and Sun Destinations (Mexico and the Caribbean). For Economy Premium (Flexible) and Latitude tickets for all destinations clearance can be done at anytime.
- For entry level members it takes around 7 days if they are eligible for any clearance.
In any case if eupgrade is not cleared then your credits will be transferred back to your account within 72 hours of arrival of the last flight.
How to increase your chance to win an upgrade?
If you are a passenger that has Elite Aeroplan Status with the airline then your chances of getting an upgrade increases. Points Listed below will help you with the process.
- It is recommended that you buy a high priced ticket which will require fewer miles or credit for eUpgrade.
- Passengers are recommended to use credit known as eCredits to buy a flight outright, without stressing over upgrade availability.
- It is preferable if you look for upgrade availability as soon as possible.
Don’t have an elite status with Air Canada? Then there is no need to worry as you can also Increase your chance to win an upgrade without Elite Status. Below mentioned point will help you in doing that:
- It is recommended to buy a bid eligible ticket and then you can bid with Aeroplan points.
- It is recommended to buy a bid eligible ticket and upgrade it with miles.
- You can also go for premium discounted fares to save miles.
- You can also at the last-minute buy an upgraded ticket when you’re at the airport during check-in.
This article on air canada upgrade policy lists information for passengers who are looking for information regarding upgrades with Air Canada. So if are a frequent traveler with Air Canada or a first time traveler and you wish to know if you can get upgrades or bid for an upgrade to get a high class upgrade seat then this the right place for you. If you wish to buy an upgrade last minute and it is available to you, your can do it during your check-in. If you want to know about the air canada business upgrade cost that is also covered here. Air Canada notifies the passengers via email once their air canada bid for upgrade is accepted and it is successfully implemented.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Air Canada Upgrade
Not all flights are eligible for upgrades; it is all decided by Air Canada.
In such case passengers will be automatically adjusted in premium economy as per availability and credits will be adjusted.
It takes around 72 hours for credits to reflect back to your account.
If your upgrade is confirmed then you can call Air Canada Reservations to request a cancellation request.
For a codeshare flight you can make an upgrade request at the airport counter on the day of travel.
Yes it is possible to make changes to the bid offer as long as the window is not closed. It can be done by visiting the official Air Canada Bid Upgrade webpage or by clicking on the link sent on the email.
No refunds are provided for any successful upgrade by Air Canada.
No any upgrade that is successfully done is not transferable.
If you wish to go for air canada flight upgrade then there are three ways by Air Canada Bid Upgrade, using eCredits and with Last Minute Upgrade cost.
If you are eligible to get air canada business upgrade you get it via email before flight departure or during check-in as last minute upgrades.
If you wish to get an Air Canada business class upgrade then you can do it as per availability and by providing air canada business class upgrade bid, at the last minute if available during check-in by cash or by using credits if you are an elite member.
Yes you can only upgrade if you are eligible for upgrades.
This is determined by a lot of factors such as your initial ticket type, the distance you will travel according to this Air Canada business class upgrade cost is balanced by the airline.
If you are an elite class member then you can get free upgrades with Air Canada using eCredits as per Air Canada upgrade with miles.