Traveling with an airline involves a plethora of decisions to be taken and arrangements to be made for a smooth flying experience. If Alaska is your choice for an upcoming trip, make sure to acquaint yourself with related aspects including the Alaska Airlines check in policy.
This guide will take you through the complete check-in process of the airline whether it pertains to the ticket counter, web, or mobile check-in. Although checking in online with Alaska Airlines is an easy process, you can go into detail and stay informed.
In addition, you will gain insights into the Alaska Airlines check in baggage policy and the pertaining factors.
In this post
Alaska Airlines Flight Check In Types
Alaska Airlines allows passengers to check in through three ways. Take a look at the step-by-step guide given below:
Alaska Airlines Ticket Counter Check-in
As you may already know, this is the most basic way of checking in at the airport. You need to carry the paper ticket on the day of scheduled departure, and proceed to the check-in counter dedicated to Alaska Airlines. The customer support representatives of the airline present near the counter may be contacted in case you need assistance to resolve any issues.
It may be highlighted that the airline allows you to mark this type of check-in from the time range of 40 minutes to 4 hours before the departure of your flight. You will get your boarding pass in the printed form. You also need to submit checked baggage within 4 hours of the departure time.
However, you are still advised to confirm the minimum check-in time beforehand as it might differ as per your city or location. It is specifically recommended to gather complete details if you have reserved a flight for your child traveling alone. Thus, you must be aware of the Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy.
Besides, if you had requested any facility such as Alaska Airlines wheelchair assistance when you reserved your flight, the airline’s staff at the airport will guide you in this case as well.
Alaska Airlines Online Check In
Enabling full comfort and ease, the Alaska Airlines web check in policy involves certain steps to be followed. You are allowed to check in online from 1 and 24 hours before your scheduled departure.
Take a look at the steps shared below.
- Visit the website and go to the check-in tab.
- Enter your Departure City in the first field. The second field lets you choose from three options – Confirmation Code, E-ticket Number, and Mileage Plan Number. You need to enter into the field as per the option you select.
Confirmation Code is a 6 letters code sent to you by the airline. E-ticket Number may be checked from the booking confirmation email. Mileage Plan Number is the number associated with the Alaska Mileage Plan you are enrolled in. It can be checked in your account after signing in on the website.
Once this field is also done, you can click “Continue to check in”.
- Then you can select the flight for which you need to mark your check-in and move ahead.
- Then you can select your seat(s) from the list of available ones.
- Finally, you are required to review the information and click “Confirm” button to conclude the check-in process.
- Once everything is done, you must save your digital boarding pass on your mobile so that it can be easily accessed and shown at the airport.
That’s all about the Alaska Airlines check in for flights through its website which offers a user-friendly navigation. You will enjoy a seamless experience while using this option at your home or office.
Nevertheless, it may be noted that if you need to make any modifications to your flight, you need to make it beforehand. For example, Alaska Airlines seat upgrade facility is made available for the convenience of passengers. You may find complete information on the same on the website of the airline.
Alaska Airlines Mobile App Check In
This is another useful way for Alaska Airlines flights check in and can be used from 1 to 24 hours before the departure time of your flight. You are recommended to opt for the same if you are comfortable using your mobile.
Well, this also lets you avoid the hassle of opening a laptop or PC. Interestingly, the app consists of a feature to scan a single boarding pass for groups or for family members flying on the same booking.
You can also order meals 14 days before the day of your scheduled departure. In fact, if you are a Mileage Plan member, you can store a payment method in your Mileage Plan account. This means you can enjoy the facility of touch-free purchases such as food and drinks.
You can pay for charges applicable for your checked baggage during the check-in process. The tags may also be printed at a kiosk at the airport using your mobile boarding pass.
Well, here is how you can mark check-in using the mobile app.
- To begin with, you need to download the Alaska Airlines mobile app which is available on both App Store (for iOS users) and Google Play Store (for Android users).
- Then you need to create your account with the airline within the app and log into it. Else, you can log in directly using your credentials if you already have an account.
- Proceed to the check-in section which is either given in the main menu or the home screen.
- Enter the required information and the app will fetch the related flight details.
- Select the required flight and seat(s).
- Lastly, you need to review the entered details and click the “Confirm” button to conclude the check-in process.
- Then you can save your digital boarding pass and it will remain handy with you.
Alaska Airlines Check In Baggage Policy
Taking complete note of the Alaska Airlines check in baggage policy is an essential part of your travel preparations. Staying conversant with what is allowed and what not will make your journey easier. You won’t face any sudden issues and will be saved from paying extra charges at the airport.
Here you will find details about the size and weight of check-in bags, also called carry-ons, hand luggage, and cabin baggage.
Alaska Airlines Check In Bag Rules
The airline allows you to carry one cabin bag, along with a personal item on the plane without paying any charge. The item could be a laptop, briefcase, or purse. The personal item could also be a medically necessary material. You must place at least one of these inside the overhead bin on the plane. The other one must go under the seat located right in front of you.
Carry-on bag size limit is 22” x 14” x 9” which means 45 linear inches. Wheels and handles are included in these dimensions. Hence, make sure to follow the same for your cabin bag otherwise you may have to pay additional charges while checking in at the airport. In fact, adhering to the defined limits will also enable you to store your belongings properly at designated areas on the plane.
However, some items such as paintings, human organs, scientific equipment, small musical instruments, and fishing poles may be brought as one carry-on bag. Their size may also go beyond dimensions.
Apart from this, it is also noteworthy that the Alaska Airlines check in bag rules may be different for certain fare types. In fact, even if you are a loyalty program member or you hold a specific flyer status, you may be allowed to fly with a carry-on beyond the defined limits. Hence, you are required to check the same with the airline well in advance. Further details may be available on the website of Alaska Airlines or you can get in touch with their customer service department for assistance.
How to Measure Carry-on Bag as per Dimensions?
You will find bag sizers at the place where your airport is located. The sizers are of the 22″ x 14″ x 9″ dimensions.
Make sure to measure your bag while you leave for the airport. It’s just that the dimensions including the body of the bag, along with the wheels and handles, does not exceed 22″ x 14″ x 9″.
In case of a soft-sided suitcase or the one that can be expanded, you may probably measure the suitcase again in order to check its dimensions. It must be within the mentioned limits.
Alaska Airlines Baggage Check In Time
The minimum cut-off time for the check-in of your carry-on baggage is 60 minutes in case of international travel and 40 minutes in case of domestic travel.
Nonetheless, the cut-off time for passengers traveling to an international route from Guadalajara is 90 minutes. Similarly, a cut-off time of 45 minutes is allowed in case of domestic travel in certain cities such as Portland, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Denver, and Philadelphia. Besides, if you are flying through a domestic flight departing from these locations in Alaska i.e., King Salmon and Dillingham, you can check in at least 60 minutes before the departure time.
Why is Online Check-in a Better Option?
You can enjoy various benefits while using the online check-in method. Here are some of those covered for your quick reference.
- Time-saving : You need not wait in queues at the airport, as it becomes time consuming, especially in a case when you arrive late at the airport. In fact, those traveling with only a cabin bag must go for this option. The check-in process can be easily done through the Alaska Airlines website or mobile app, as explained above.
- Arriving at the Airport : You need to reach the airport early. However, in case of online check-in, you can stay relieved from the stringent process of keeping your documents ready and passing through the check-in counter. Thus, you can arrive at the airport accordingly.
- Seat Selection : You can select your preferred or desired seat in advance. Alaska Airlines facilitates a display of available seats. Hence, you can secure a suitable seat. Besides, there is no constraint of printing the boarding pass at the airport, as you get a digital boarding pass. It can be simply saved on your mobile and kept handy.
How to Make the Most of Your Check-in Experience at the Airport?
Here are some of the key tips to have a trouble-free check-in experience.
- Opt for Online Check-in: Use the online check-in facility offered by the airline. Available through the airline’s website and mobile app, it helps you save time. You can also choose your desired seat beforehand.
- Arrive Early: Make sure to reach the airport early. No wonder, if you have marked an online check-in, you are still advised to arrive early. This enables you to enjoy sufficient time at the airport after you drop off your checked bags and cross the security section. You can have a great experience while exploring shopping outlets and relishing food at eating joints. Even if you are eligible for lounge access, it makes for the best option to unwind before catching your flight and travel in style. Also, you will not have to rush while going towards your departure gate.
- Comply with Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy: You must pack your carry-on and checked bags in line with the policies defined by the airline. Otherwise, you might end up spending more time at the check-in counter and paying additional charges for overweight and oversized bags.
- Keep Travel-related Documents Handy: Keeping all the necessary travel documents is a must. This needs to be checked when you leave for the airport. Necessary documents including ID proof, passport, visa or related travel permits must be kept.
- Enroll in the Alaska Airlines Loyalty Program: Frequent travelers with Alaska Airlines are eligible to register for the loyalty program offered by the airline. This membership brings you various benefits such as priority check-in, free checked bags, and access to exclusive airport lounges. Well, this helps elevate your overall travel experience and makes it even more memorable.
In a nutshell, it is important to familiarize yourself with Alaska Airlines flight check in policy so as to enjoy a smooth travel experience. If you use the online check-in method, you need to visit the website of the airline and follow related steps under the Check-in section. Mobile-savvy travelers can download the Alaska Airlines mobile app to conveniently mark check-in and enjoy several benefits. Rest is the usual ticket counter check-in process.
On the other hand, you must be well aware of the check in baggage policy of Alaska airlines. Exceeding the mentioned dimensions will make you pay extra charges at the airport. Thus, it is beneficial to abide by the limits made clear by the airline. This helps you streamline your journey and avoid unexpected situations at the airport. Similarly, there is also Alaska Airlines Pet Policy that makes you conversant with scenarios whether you can take your pet on the plane or it needs to go in cargo.
No matter whether you travel for leisure or business, we hope this guide proves to be fruitful for you. So, pack your bags, go ahead with marking an easy check-in, and get ready to enjoy an enthusiastic journey with Alaska Airlines.
Frequently Asked Questions – Alaska Airlines Check In Policy
Alaska Airlines allows you to mark your check-in at the ticket counter at the airport. You can also go for online or web check-in through its website, or mobile check-in through its app. You can choose a suitable option as per your convenience while following all the requisites for receiving your boarding pass.
You must follow the carry-on baggage size limit that is 22” x 14” x 9” or 45 linear inches. This includes wheels and handles. If the size of your bag goes beyond the mentioned limit, you will have to pay extra fees at the airport. Nevertheless, some items such as paintings, human organs, scientific equipment, and small musical instruments, may have bigger dimensions than the defined ones. It is advised to read in detail on the website of Alaska Airlines.
Alaska Airlines lets you take one cabin bag and personal item on the plane. You may take a laptop, briefcase, or purse as a personal item free of cost. It can also be a medically necessary item. At least one of these needs to be placed inside the overhead bin and the other can go under the seat in front of you. Your carry-on bag must be within 22” x 14” x 9” dimensions which means 45 linear inches. This includes wheels and handles.
You need to visit the website of Alaska Airlines and refer to the Check-in section. Enter the required details, select your flight, select seats, and finally review the information. Then click “Confirm” to conclude the check-in process.
Yes, you can check in online despite taking checked baggage with you to the airport. You need to drop off your bags at the specific baggage drop-off counter at the airport. Then you can go towards the security section.
You need to go to the ticket counter at the airport and show your printed ticket and the related documents to get the boarding pass. The baggage must also be in the defined limits. Otherwise, you can opt for online or web check-in through the website of the airline. Else, you can download its mobile app and sign in to mark your check-in.
The airline allows you to take one carry-on bag and a personal item like briefcase, laptop, purse etc. One of these needs to be kept in the overhead bin, while the other must be placed under the seat in front of you.
How heavy can a carry-on be for a flight on Alaska Airlines?
Although the airline has not defined a specific weight limit for carry-on bags, it specifies 22” x 14” x 9” as the maximum dimensions allowed. This means 45 linear inches and it includes wheels and handles.
Can I check in online for an international route with Alaska Airlines?
Yes, check-in for both domestic and international flights can be marked through the website of Alaska Airlines. Nonetheless, some international destinations may require additional documentation such as travel visas. Make sure to check such requirements in advance.
What is the cut-off time for carry-on baggage with Alaska Airlines?
The minimum cut-off time for the check-in of your carry-on baggage is 60 minutes if you are flying internationally. But it is 40 minutes if you are traveling domestically. Nonetheless, you are highly advised to check with the customer service department of Alaska Airlines as certain rules may vary in case of the location you fly from.
When should I check in with Alaska Airlines?
If you mark an online or web check-in, you can do it from 1 and 24 hours before the departure time of your Alaska Airlines flight. This remains the same even if you check in through the Alaska Airlines mobile app. However, 40 minutes to 4 hours before the scheduled departure is the time allowed in case you check in at the ticket counter at the airport. You are suggested to get in touch with the customer service team of the airline for more details.